Practical Strategies for Treating Problematic Dissociation and Regression in Children/Teens
This 7 hour presentation provides in-depth treatment methods for more severe dissociative symptoms observed in children and adolescents. Scripts provide appropriate language for creating an environment that supports neurological integration. Participants will be able to create internal safety, time orientation, and healthy internal boundaries to replace dissociative barriers. Participants will be able to implement strategies to eliminate regression and trouble-shoot parent behaviors that inadvertently reinforce regression and habitual dissociation. Participants will be able to help children and teens reduce fear of feelings and body sensations and implement strategies for safe EMDR reprocessing with dissociative children/teens.
Participants will be able to…
- Identify symptoms of more severe dissociation.
- Utilize scripts for dissociation psychoeducation with parents and children.
- Explain how internal boundaries between front self and younger (and other) parts leads to brain integration.
- Identify beliefs that may be increasing dissociation and reinforce beliefs that decrease dissociation.
- Access and strengthen most mature self in the office, incorporating BLS.
- Provide enhanced safe places and a nurturing internal connection for younger parts of self, incorporating BLS.
- Apply dialogue and time orientation for younger parts of self, enhanced with BLS.
- Conceptualize dissociation with the “outdated apps” metaphor.
- Assist strategies to interrupt habitual dissociation in children/teens.
- Apply scripts for helping children/teens and their parents with problems related to regression.
- Apply scripts for assisting children/teens with dialoguing within a conference room.
- Assist children/teens with dialoguing with the protector, the critic, or parts with other jobs.
- Apply safe strategies for moving into EMDR trauma work with dissociative children.
TIMES BELOW ARE APPROXIMATE:
45 minutes: The varied symptoms and their etiology/ Why internal boundaries lead to brain integration
45 minutes: Addressing beliefs that support dissociation/ Homework for parents/ Creating a healthy internal team
45 minutes: Enhancing internal attachments and safe places for parts/ Time orientation for younger parts of self
30 minutes: Addressing habitual dissociation
15 minutes: Time orientation through past and present drawings
30 minutes: Trouble-shooting regression with parents and children or teens
30 minutes: Critical points of intervention with Jane/ Experiencing feelings from most grown-up self
60 minutes: Working with parts of self with other roles and behaviors/ Interventions with Mary
30 minutes: Trauma work with highly dissociative children
30 minutes: Incorporating the body/Teaching points for parents and children
EMDRIA: Approval #01007-56
Refund policy: No refunds once registration is complete. Viewing policy: 1 year from registration for the course.